Getting Hired is happy to announce that we will be hosting an Online Career Fair for job seekers with disabilities on October 5th from 12-3PM EDT. The event will offer the chance for job seekers to connect online with prospective employers to showcase their skills to receptive recruiters.
The event will bring together more than 20 of our employer partners, and each company will have at least 3 recruiters available to chat from 12-3PM EDT. Each candidate will have up to 10 minutes with each prospective employer, so it's important to prepare to make the best impression possible.
How job seekers can best prepare for online interviews
Adequate preparation is essential to getting the most out of an online interview. With a short timeframe to connect with a recruiter, job seekers need to be ready to highlight their skill sets and desire to work with each prospective employer.
Here are some of our top tips for how to prepare:
- Update your resume - Make sure all your latest employment information and relevant skills are easily accessible and simple to scan.
- Research the companies in attendance - Find out as much as you can about each business and their open job positions. This information will help you tailor your communication to the specific jobs you are interested in. Employers regularly tell us that they spend more time with candidates who sound informed about the company’s business.
- Set a calendar reminder - You don't want to miss this opportunity, so set up multiple reminders regarding start times. You can attend this event from any device with an internet connection, even your smart phone.
- Create an elevator pitch - Your introduction should be short and to the point. It should give the recruiter an understanding of why you would be a good fit for their company (this can be written in advance to save time in the interview).
- Pre-write some questions - Save yourself time during the interview by preparing some useful questions. This could include things like: What is your corporate culture like? What skills do you most value in your organization?
Each of these simple tasks will play a crucial role in ensuring you attend on time, are armed with a depth of knowledge about each employer and their potential jobs and have the right information to really impress the recruiters!
Best practices for job seekers during the Online Career Fair
Job seekers should always remember that first impressions count and when it comes to interviewing online, this is just as important as when meeting in person. For this reason, it is essential that candidates hoping to impress a prospective employer take the process seriously.
A great piece of advice is to dress like you are attending a face-to-face interview. This will help to put candidates in the right frame of mind to present themselves to the best of their ability, as well as helping to improve focus and to come across in a professional manner.
In addition, candidates should remember to ask for any contact information that will allow them to follow-up on their interview. It always pays to be proactive and send an email after the interview to thank the recruiter for the opportunity to connect.
Our Online Career Fair is a fantastic opportunity for job seekers to put themselves forward for a multitude of roles.
For more details on this upcoming event, check out our Online Career Fair here for more details about the employers who are registered and ready to connect with you!